By Chris Brown
JACKSONVILLE – For Sarah Pennington it was a picture perfect first home that turned out to be only perfect in the pictures.
“They came out here to look under the house for termites, and actually found that the sub floor was crumbling and completely covered in black mold,” said Pennington.
In fact it was everywhere they looked, under the floor, in the attic, even growing on the wall, ext to their five month olds nursery.
Pennington says, “Its not good for any of us, but its even worse when its an infant.”
Internal medicine specialist Dr. Robert Krause agrees.
“People have allergies to mold spores, just like they do to grass pollen, tree pollen, weed pollen,” says Krause.
A mold report the Pennington’s had done says their mold is chaetomium; a toxic substance OSHA says can cause some allergies, even skin rashes and mild forms of pneumonia.
Krause says in some cases molds like chaetomium can cause more serious problems.
“It’s rare but its very serious when it happens, they get allergic to the mold that’s growing inside of them,” says Krause, and that can cause more severe pneumonia.
Krause says there is little that can be done, once the mold is there.
“If you can get the house dry the mold will quit growing,” he says, “the mold spores will still be there, but it wont keep growing like it is.”
He says the best option is to leave the toxic environment, for the Pennington’s that’s just not an option.
Not exactly what they pictured from their picture perfect home sweet home.
Thank You National Apartment Association. I will do my best to get this very important information out ASAP to numerous owners, investors, huge property management companies (e.g., Riverstone Residential), attorneys, and judges, AND, of course, to the MANY people who are currently living in MOLD-INFESTED APARTMENT COMPLEXES right now! katy
Political Action Committee – National Apartment Association (NAA) files Amicus Brief in mold case (two infant deaths in mold filled apt – Wasatch Prop Mgmt) citing US Chamber/ACOEM ‘litigation defense report’ to disclaim health effects of indoor mold & limit financial risk for industry
“Changes in construction methods have caused US buildings to become perfect petri dishes for mold and bacteria to flourish when water is added. Instead of warning the public and teaching physicians that the buildings were causing illness; in 2003 the US Chamber of Commerce Institute for Legal Reform, a think-tank, and a workers comp physician trade organization mass marketed an unscientific nonsequitor to the courts to disclaim the adverse health effects to stave off liability for financial stakeholders of moldy buildings. Although publicly exposed many times over the years, the deceit lingers in US courts to this very day.” Sharon Noonan Kramer
Information about Riverstone Residential, the Louisiana Housing Finance Agency, and the owners of Jefferson Lakes Apartments in Baton Rouge, Louisiana allowing tenants to be exposed to extreme amounts of toxins from molds by intentionally concealing evidence
Irrefutable evidence indicates that Riverstone Residential, Guarantee Service Team of Professionals, & plaintiffs’ attorney, J Arthur Smith III, must have agreed to exclude evidence that would have shown the owners of Jefferson Lakes Apartments & Riverstone Residential had knowledge of the severe MOLD INFESTATION at the complex before we moved in