Thank You National Apartment Association. I will do my best to get this very important information out ASAP to numerous owners, investors, huge property management companies (e.g., Riverstone Residential), attorneys, and judges, AND, of course, to the MANY people who are currently living in MOLD-INFESTED APARTMENT COMPLEXES right now! katy
“But as work began, Belina Sanders said her daughter’s doctor told her they couldn’t go back into the apartment until the growths on the walls were professionally tested.”
“Parents said two children tested positive for bronchitis Wednesday afternoon and they said management refused to pay for professional tests and hotel rooms until the apartments were safe.”
May 19, 2010
MARIETTA, Ga. – Tenants at Springs Landing Apartments said mold is making them sick.
You can smell the mold when you walk into Nadine Sander’s apartment.
“It was black and had fuzz on it and spreading down the wall,” said Sanders.
Sanders took a pen and poked a hole in the wall to show CBS Atlanta cameras how soft the walls are because of the mold she said is lurking behind them, forcing her to send her 4-year-old granddaughter to stay with friends.
“My grandbaby is getting sick. The mold is all in the walls,” said Sanders.
It was the same story in the apartment right around the corner.
“This is all mold. You can spray it with bleach and it will come back,” said Chutney Miles.
Miles said she is taking every measure to keep her three children healthy, but their medical bills have been mounting.
“They constantly have colds and runny noses,” said Miles.
Tenants in three moldy apartments said they have complained to the property manager numerous times, even filling out up to 20 work orders and nothing has been done.
“It’s sad. I have no money to move but I have no choice. I have no choice,” said Miles.
Apartment management refused to speak on camera about the problems, but sent a construction crew out Wednesday morning to tear out and replace the damaged walls.
But as work began, Belina Sanders said her daughter’s doctor told her they couldn’t go back into the apartment until the growths on the walls were professionally tested.
Parents said two children tested positive for bronchitis Wednesday afternoon and they said management refused to pay for professional tests and hotel rooms until the apartments were safe.
Marietta code enforcement inspectors also inspected the units. Officials said they found several code violations, and will notify management that they have 60 days to make repairs. Inspectors said if they had found anything dangerous they would have condemned the apartments immediately.
Political Action Committee – National Apartment Association (NAA) files Amicus Brief in mold case (two infant deaths in mold filled apt – Wasatch Prop Mgmt) citing US Chamber/ACOEM ‘litigation defense report’ to disclaim health effects of indoor mold & limit financial risk for industry
“Changes in construction methods have caused US buildings to become perfect petri dishes for mold and bacteria to flourish when water is added. Instead of warning the public and teaching physicians that the buildings were causing illness; in 2003 the US Chamber of Commerce Institute for Legal Reform, a think-tank, and a workers comp physician trade organization mass marketed an unscientific nonsequitor to the courts to disclaim the adverse health effects to stave off liability for financial stakeholders of moldy buildings. Although publicly exposed many times over the years, the deceit lingers in US courts to this very day.” Sharon Noonan Kramer
Information on Riverstone Residential, the Louisiana Housing Finance Agency, and the owners of Toxic Mold Infested Jefferson Lakes Apartments in Baton Rouge, Louisiana continuing to allow tenants to be exposed to extreme amounts of mold toxins
Irrefutable evidence indicates that Riverstone Residential, Guarantee Service Team of Professionals, & plaintiffs’ attorney, J Arthur Smith III, must have agreed to exclude evidence that would have shown the owners of Jefferson Lakes Apartments & Riverstone Residential had knowledge of the severe MOLD INFESTATION at the complex before we moved in