By KATHIANNE BONIELLO
October 25, 2009
Toxic mold forced a cancer-stricken Manhattan woman to flee her East Side penthouse more than a year ago, but building management is still making her pay the maintenance and demanding rent, she charges in a lawsuit.
Joanne Payson says she was forced to abandon her home at 50 Sutton Place South in June 2008 after water leaks from a faulty roof left the apartment ridden with mold — which she believes caused her to contract two respiratory infections while undergoing chemotherapy.
Payson had the air tested in October 2006 after she was diagnosed with lymphoma and confirmed the presence of the mold.
But she alleges in a lawsuit in Manhattan Supreme Court that building managers Brown Harris Stevens ignored the problem and endangered her health.
Brown Harris Stevens spokeswoman declined comment.
Note – Information on Riverstone Residential knowingly exposing tenants to extreme amounts of mold toxins at Toxic Mold Infested Jefferson Lakes Apartments in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. katy